History

The pursuit of health is a theme that has remained unchanged since the founding of the hospital.

The spread of Dutch medicine and Wadajuku in Yagenbori

1838
Taizen Sato founded the Wadajuku School of Dutch Medicine in Yagenbori, a part of Edo.
This is the year Juntendo was founded.

Introduction of new surgical procedures and the acceptance of Western culture

1843
Taizen opened Juntendo in Sakura-motomachi
The name of Juntendo began here.
1859
Taizen retired and his adopted son Takanaka Sato became the second director of Juntendo.
1873
Takanaka opened a hospital in Shitaya Neribei-machi.
1875
Takanaka completed the construction of a new Juntendo in Yushima.
His adopted son Susumu Sato returned from study in Germany and became the director of Juntendo Hospital.
1887
The Journal of Juntendo Medical Research was created.
1890
Juntendo became a co-operative organization.
1896
The Juntendo Nursing School was established.
Juntendo Hospital was completed in 1906.
It was a three-story building constructed with wood and mortar. The building was lost in the fire following the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.
1910
Juntendo Hospital was completely rebuilt.

Creation of a new hospital and the response to disaster recovery

1920
Tatsujiro Sato became the director of Juntendo Hospital.
1923
Juntendo Hospital was completely destroyed by fire following the Great Kanto Earthquake.
1927
The main building was completed and operations began in the new building from the start of the following year.
The building was made of reinforced concrete and has one underground level and three levels above ground.

Establishment of medical education from a hospital into a university

1943
Juntendo Medical Vocational College received approval.
1946
Juntendo Medical University received approval.
1947
Juntendo Medical University Preparatory School was established in Narashino-shi, Chiba
1951
Juntendo University (Department of Medicine and Department of Physical Education) was established.

Responding to the demands of society with the aim of being a healthcare university

1955
Noboru Ariyama became director.
1964
The Tatsujiro Sato Memorial Building (Building No. 3) was completed.
Japan's first ICU was established.
1967
Juntendo Izu Nagaoka Hospital (now Juntendo Shizuoka Hospital) was opened.
1968
Outpatient treatment by organ began.
1972
The Juntendo Hospital Annex was completed.
1984
Takehiko Azuma became director.
Juntendo Urayasu Hospital was opened.
A project to commemorate Juntendo's 150th anniversary began.
1988
Tatsumi Kaketa became director.
1989
Juntendo Medical College of Nursing opened
順天堂越谷病院開院
1992
Shozo Ishii became director.
1993
The Physical Education Department was reorganized into the Health and Sports Science Department
A new hospital wing (Building No. 1) was opened and approved as an advanced treatment hospital.
2002
The Tokyo Koto Geriatric Medical Center opened.
(Currently the Juntendo Tokyo Koto Geriatric Medical Center)
2004
Hideoki Ogawa became director.
Juntendo University Faculty of Health Care and Nursing was opened.
2005
The name of Juntendo Shizuoka Hospital changed to Juntendo University Shizuoka Hospital.
Juntendo University Nerima Hospital
The Institute for Health and Medical Sports was established.
2006
The Mammary Glands Center, Heart Center and Center for Pediatrics, Pediatric Surgery and Maternity were established in Juntendo Hospital.
Second opinion outpatient service began.
The Rehabilitation Department was established.
The Juntendo Graduate School of Health Care and Nursing was established
2007
The university won the 83rd Hakone Ekiden.
Juntendo University received an "AA" ranking.
The Cancer Center was opened.
It was recognized as a training facility by the Japanese Board of Cancer Therapy.
2014
Phase I of Building B of Juntendo Hospital was inaugurated.
The Doctoral program of the Graduate School of Health Care and Nursing was established.
A ceremony to commemorate Juntendo's 175th anniversary was held.