Institute for Environmental and Gender-Specific Medicine
Associate Professor, Institute for Environmental and Gender-Specific Medicine, Juntendo University Graduate School of Medicine
Research Speciality:We apply proteomic strategies to investigate various biological phenomena, especially pathology of diseases with gender disparity.
Research Description:(1) Proteomic analysis of plasma/serum in patients suffering from diseases with sex differences in incidence rates:
One of the research interests in our institute is exploring the mechanisms of diseases that have sex differences in their incidence rates. Among them, we focus on collagen diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), which show higher prevalence in women. The causes of collagen diseases are complex and affected by various host and environmental factors. In order to understand the mechanisms of pathogenesis of these multifactorial diseases, comprehensive approaches such as proteome and transcriptome analysis are more appropriate for investigating disease-related factors. We analyze plasma/serum proteome changes in RA patients undergoing biological drug treatment, identify factors related to the pathology of RA, and aim to develop novel therapeutic strategies.
(2) Functional proteomics by use of protein-protein interaction analysis:
Protein-protein interaction analysis is often applied to clarify the function of targeted proteins. We explore the cellular roles of many proteins with unknown functions by identifying the protein components of the protein complexes copurified with the targeted proteins. Collaborations are in progress with internal and external research groups of our institute.
(3) Quantitative analysis of protein constituents in intracellular structure:
There are various multi-molecular structures in cells. The constituent molecules of these structures undergo changes during cell cycle progression and in response to environmental stimuli. In order to investigate cellular responses, we perform quantitative proteomic analyses of these structures.
- Yanagida M, Jung G, Tanaka Y, Sone S, Fujishiro M, Ikeda K, Nozawa K, Kaneko H, Takasaki Y, Ogawa H, Takamori K, Sekigawa I: Serum proteome analysis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving therapy with etanercept, a chimeric tumor necrosis factor-alpha receptor. Int J Rheumatic Dis, 2012; (in press)
- Okada M, Hozumi Y, Tanaka T, Suzuki Y, Yanagida M, Araki Y, Evangelisti C, Yagisawa H, Topham MK, Martelli AM, Goto K: DGKζ is degraded through the cytoplasmic ubiquitin-proteasome system under excitotoxic conditions, which causes neuronal apoptosis because of aberrant cell cycle reentry. Cell Signal, 2012; 24: 1573-1582.
- Okada M, Hozumi Y, Iwazaki K, Misaki K, Yanagida M, Araki Y, Watanabe T, Yagisawa H, Topham MK, Kaibuchi K, Goto K: DGKζ is involved in LPS-activated phagocytosis through IQGAP1/Rac1 pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 2012; 420: 479-484.
- Fujishiro M, Nozawa K, Kawasaki M, Yamaguchi A, Iwabuchi K, Yanagida M, Suzuki F, Miyazawa K, Fukui H, Kaneko K, Ogawa H, Takamori K, Takasaki Y, Sekigawa I: Regenerating gene (REG) 1 alpha promotes pannus progression in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Mod Rheumatol, 2012; 22: 228-237.
- Araki Y, Nonaka D, Tajima A, Maruyama M, Nitto T, Ishikawa H, Yoshitake H, Yoshida E, Kuronaka N, Asada K, Yanagida M, Nojima M, Yoshida K, Takamori K, Hashiguchi T, Maruyama I, Lee L, Tanaka K: Quantitative peptidomic analysis by a newly developed one-step direct transfer technology without depletion of major blood proteins: Its potential utility for monitoring of pathophysiological status in pregnancy-induced hypertension. Proteomics, 2011; 11: 2727-2737.
- Yoshitake H, Yanagida M, Maruyama M, Takamori K, Hasegawa A, Araki Y: Molecular characterization and expression of dipeptidase 3, a testis-specific membrane-bound dipeptidase: complex formation with TEX101, a germ-cell-specific antigen in the mouse testis. J Reprod Immunol, 2011; 90: 202-213.
- Nozawa K, Fujishiro M, Kawasaki M, Kaneko H, Iwabuchi K, Yanagida M, Suzuki F, Miyazawa K, Takasaki Y, Ogawa H, Takamori K, Sekigawa I: Connective tissue growth factor promotes articular damage by increased osteoclastogenesis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther, 2009;11:R174.
- Yamatoya K, Yoshida K, Ito C, Maekawa M, Yanagida M, Takamori K, Ogawa H, Araki Y, Miyado K, Toyama Y, Toshimori K: Equatorin: Identification and characterization of the epitope of the MN9 antibody in the mouse. Biol Reprod, 2009; 81: 889-897.
- Fujiyama-Nakamura S, Yoshikawa H, Homma K, Hayano T, Tsujimura-Takahashi T, Izumikawa K, Ishikawa H, Miyazawa N, Yanagida M, Miura Y, Shinkawa T, Yamauchi Y, Isobe T, Takahashi N: Parvulin (Par14), a peptidyl prolyl cis-trans isomerase, is a novel rRNA-processing factor evolved in the metazoan lineage. Mol Cell Proteomics, 2009; 8: 1552-1565.
- Izumikawa K, Yanagida M, Hayano T, Tachikawa H, Komatsu W, Shimamoto A, Futami K, Furuichi Y, Shinkawa T, Yamauchi Y, Isobe T, Takahashi N: Association of human DNA helicase RecQ5b with RNA polymerase II and its possible role in transcription. Biochem J, 2008; 413: 505-516.
- Sekigawa I*, Yanagida M*, Iwabuchi K, Kaneda K, Kaneko H, Takasaki Y, Jung G, Sone S, Tanaka Y, Ogawa H, Takamori K: Protein biomarker analysis by mass spectrometry in patients with rheumatoid arthritis receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor- antibody therapy. Clin Exp Rheumatol, 2008; 26: 261-267. *: equal contribution
- Hayashi C*, Ono Y*, Doi N, Kitamura F, Tagami M, Mineki R, Arai T, Taguchi H, Yanagida M, Hirner S, Labeit D, Labeit S, Sorimachi H: Multiple molecular interactions implicate Connectin/Titin N2A region as a modulating scaffold for p94/Calpain 3 activity in skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem, 2008; 283: 14801-14814. *: equal contribution
- Morigasaki S, Shimada K, Ikner A, Yanagida M, Shiozaki K: Glycolytic enzyme GAPDH promotes peroxide stress signaling through multistep phosphorelay to a MAPK cascade. Mol Cell, 2008; 30: 108-113.
- Yanagida M, Iwabuchi K: Proteomic analysis of lactosylceramide-enriched membrane microdomains. Trends Glycosci Glycotech, 2008; 20: 1-15.
- Ono Y, Hayashi C, Doi N, Kitamura F, Shindo M, Kudo K, Tsubata T, Yanagida M, Sorimachi H: Comprehensive survey of p94/calpain 3 substrates by comparative proteomics - Possible regulation of protein synthesis by p94. Biotechnol J, 2007; 2: 565-576.
- Yanagida M, Nakayama H, Yoshizaki F, Fujimura T, Takamori K, Ogawa K, Iwabuchi K: Proteomic analysis of plasma-membrane lipid rafts of HL-60 cells. Proteomics, 2007; 7: 2398-2409.
- Tsukamoto H, Yoshitake H, Mori M, Yanagida M, Takamori K, Ogawa H, Takizawa T, Araki Y: Testicular proteins associated with the germ cell-marker, TEX101: Involvement of cellubrevin in TEX101-trafficking to the cell surface during spermatogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 2006; 345: 229-238.
- Sekiguchi T, Hayano T, Yanagida M, Takahashi N, Nishimoto T: NOP132 is required for proper nucleolus localization of DEAD-box RNA helicase DDX47. Nucleic Acids Res, 2006; 34: 4593-4608.